February 15, 2013
February and March are budget months at the City of Burlington. Staff and Council are working on the budget for this year. There are 2 pieces of the City Budget:
- Capital Budget: funding for capital projects in the city including funding for roads, stormwater projects and buildings
- Operating Budget: the regular costs of operations of the city for the year. This is where we spend the most time discussing at City Council. The Operating Budget costs are what determine potential tax rate increases
The 2013 Budget process is challenging for a number of reasons:
- it will cost approximately 3% tax rate increase to maintain the city
- 1% tax rate increase to contribute to the hospital levy for the City’s contribution for the redevelopment of Joseph Brant Memorial Hospital
- requests for additional funding for Burlington Transit and the Fire Department
- requests for additional funding from the Burlington Economic Development Corporation, the Burlington Public Library and the Burlington Art Centre
City Council will review each of these requests through February and March and we would like your input.
A January, 2013 Budget and Corporate Services Report also provides an overview of the Operating Budget proposed for 2013. This may be helpful for you to review here.
There are many ways to share your feedback on this year’s budget:
- leave a comment here, on my blog
- contact my office or send me an email to email@example.com
- contact your Ward Councillor
- Complete the Budget Survey
The Budget will come to City Council on March 18 for final approval.
City Council wants to hear from you. Please share your feedback on this very important issue for the City of Burlington.